Why Solar Energy?
- Solar is clean, sustainable, and renewable energy.
- Expansion of solar energy reduces our dependence on fossil fuels and utility companies.
- Less waste and pollution is generated.
- Increases in solar energy diversifies the energy market and creates GREEN jobs.
- Provides the opportunity for community 'solar systems'.
- Solar, and other renewable energy systems, are the future!
- According to a recent report from the U.S. Department of Energy, more people were employed in solar power last year than in generating electricity through coal, gas and oil energy combined!
- And of course...We're the Sunshine State!
ReThink's Solar Successes
- Passage of Amendment 4 in the 2016 Florida primary election
- Establishes a property tax break for businesses who install solar energy systems.
- Also removes Florida’s “tangible personal property tax”, which taxes solar equipment installed on properties.
- Increases solar purchasing power for Floridians and paves the way for widespread increases in solar technological innovation
- Encourages solar energy business and investment in Florida
- Defeat of Florida's Amendment 1 in the 2016 general election
- Stopped attempts by Florida's utility companies to limit rooftop solar expansion.
- Stopped the enshrinement of Florida's mediocre solar policy
- Prevented Florida's poor policy embraced by only 3 other states that make it illegal for anyone other than a utility to sell electricity to consumers.
- Proved the power of a strong, passionate grassroots coalition with our defeat of the over $26 million spent by the Florida utility corporations in trying to deceive the Florida voters into voting against their beliefs.
- Served as a profound defeat of large special interests in their attempts to undermine the electorate by pouring cash into our elections and promoting deception.
While the passage of Amendment 4 and the defeat of Amendment 1 signal growth for solar energy in our sunshine state, it's important that we remain attentive to solar legislation and protect it from attacks on net-metering.