SAVE THE DATE: March 22nd, 2017!
Rethink Energy Florida, Sierra Club - Florida, Environment Florida, Food and Water Watch-Florida, Floridians Against Fracking, Organize Florida, Progress for All, Florida Student Power Network, Physicians for Social Responsibility – Florida, Urban Paradise Guild and other groups will be hosting an Advocacy Day on March 22nd at the Florida Capitol! This is a great opportunity for Floridians to make their voices heard by speaking directly with their elected officials on key energy and water issues facing Florida.
Each sponsoring organization is working on critical issues facing our state and this is an opportunity for us to come together and fight to protect clean water.
We will provide transportation from several cities across the state and we will also provide advocacy training so you have the skills you need to effectively advocate for clean water and renewable energy.
Training will be offered the evening before, and a rally/ press conference will be held that morning
We will be talking with our legislators about these critical issues:
- Banning Fracking in Florida: This extreme extraction method poses risks to our environment and does not benefit the people of Florida. We don't want to see what happened in Naples happen anywhere in Florida again!
- Supporting Renewable Energy: Florida is the sunshine state, and through the Constitutional Amendment process, we’ve made great strides toward owning that name! Now we need the legislature to follow suit, through legislative action, including implementing Amendment 4.
- Protection of Florida’s Waters: From the Panhandle to the Keys, Floridians demand clean water. Our springs, rivers, estuaries, lakes, bays and Everglades will continue to degrade, and threaten our health, quality of life, and economy, until decision-makers buy the land needed to restore and protect our watersheds.
6:30pm-8:00pm: Training at LeRoy Collins Leon County Public Library, located at 200 W Park Ave, Tallahassee, FL 32301
9:30pm: "Catching the Sun" Movie showing at the nearby Challenger Learning Center IMAX Theater.
Free lodging is being hosted by First Presbyterian Church. See the Registration Form for the available low cost lodging option.
10:00am: Registration opens at Waller Park (at the Dolphins Statue)
10:30am-11:30am: Rally at Waller Park (at the Dolphins Statue)
11:30am-1:00pm: Lunch will be split into groups based on the region of FL you are from. Located at a nearby building. Mini Environmental Training Sessions on several environmental issues (including Sabal Trail) will also be held during lunch.
Ongoing-4:00pm: Legislative Meetings being set by the Sponsors
- Getting Around the Capitol
- About the Water Bills
- About the Solar Bills
- About the Fracking Bills
- About the Utility Investments in Gas Reserves Bills
- Capitol Grounds Map
ONLINE REGISTRATION IS CLOSED NOW - Please plan to use the Walk-in line to register in-person on 3/22, thanks!
Use this link only if you plan to volunteer with the event beyond visiting legislators:
- March 22, 2017 at 10am – 4pm
- Florida Capitol